Install Microsoft Office 2007 in Ubuntu
If you are a newbie in the world of GNU/Linux, Microsoft Word will be one of the primary applications that you miss. Though Open Office is a more than enough Office suite, which is also free to use and distribute. But for those who can’t live without Microsoft Word, WINE is there to help you. WINE ( Wine Is Not an Emulator ) is an application layer for Linux which allows programs made for Windows to be run in Linux. We have detailed the steps required for installing Microsoft Word 2007 in your Ubuntu 8.10. Check out our post below.
Inorder to install Microsoft Word 2007, you need to have Wine 1.1.9 or its newer versions. You wont be able to download this version of Wine from official Ubuntu repo, since it is still in the devolopment phase. To install the latest version of WINE, follow the steps.
Installing the latest version of WINE:
- Open Terminal and enter the following to download the GPG key. wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add –
- Now, edit sources.list to include the new repo. Just enter the following in Terminal. sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -o /etc/apt /sources.list.d/winehq.list
- Update sources.list sudo apt-get update
- Install Wine sudo apt-get install wine cabextract
- Thats it. The latest version of Wine is installed in your Ubuntu Linux. To check the version of Wine you are using. wine –versionInstalling Wine Tricks:Wine Tricks is a small script which can automatically fetch and install Microsoft DLL’s and Libraries from Internet. Install it before proceeding.
- To install Wine Tricks, wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
- Now run the script after making it executable. chmod +x ./winetricks
- After installing and starting wine tricks, use it to set up Libraries and DLL required for the smooth installation and working of Microsoft Word 2007. ./winetricks gdiplus riched20 riched30 msxml3 msxml4 msxml6 corefonts tahoma vb6run vcrun6 msi2
Installing Microsoft Word 2007:
- Wait for the operation to Complete. After it is over, install Microsoft Word 2007 using wine. wine setup.exe
Thats all. Microsoft Word 2007 will be installed in no time. Hope our article has helped you in solving the issue. Suggestions and queries are welcome. Happy ubuntu-ing 😉